This morning LGBTQ people in Mississippi woke up knowing that their state now officially has the most discriminatory anti-LGBTQ laws on the books, worse than any state in the country.
Today HB1523, a religious refusal law, took effect in the Magnolia State. The law authorizes Mississippi officials and service providers, such as doctors and store owners, to refuse to serve LGBTQ people on the basis of three specific religious beliefs about marriage between same-sex couples, transgender individuals, and sex before marriage.
It’s a terrible law, leaving all LGBTQ people vulnerable to discrimination – and now that it’s in effect, you can bet that opponents of LGBTQ equality in state legislatures nationwide will seek to replicate its effects in their own states.
The 2018 legislative session is fast approaching – and we need to be ready to resist bills like HB1523 in key states nationwide. Can you help us prepare by donating $4 to Freedom for All Americans’ States Action Team, which was built to fight back against anti-LGBTQ legislative attacks? Click here.
When Indiana passed its distorted “License to Discriminate” RFRA law in 2015, dozens of state legislators held the law up as inspiration for their own attacks. When North Carolina prohibited restroom access for transgender people, many nearly identical bills advanced far in other state houses.
Now, we anticipate our opponents to look to Mississippi’s HB1523 as an example of a “License to Discriminate” that they can pass in their own state – and we can’t let that happen.
LGBTQ people need laws protecting them from discrimination – not laws that ease discrimination altogether. Our States Action Team is gearing up for a busy legislative session in 2018 – and we need you with us.
Click here to donate $4 to the States Action Team and make a difference so we can avoid the next HB1523.
Freedom for All Americans
- Media Overlooks the Root Cause of Attorney General William Barr’s Bizarre Actions
- Truth Wins Out Fights “Ex-Gay” Conversion Programs in Korean
- TWO Executive Director featured in French documentary, ‘You’ll Be Straight’
- Truth Wins Out Mourns the Death of Philanthropist Henry van Ameringen
- Are you a conversion therapy survivor and want to meet other survivors? Join Survivor Sunday Meeting!
- Protected: A letter from the National LGBTQ Task Force’s Executive Director Rea Carey
- Protected: NATIONAL LGBTQ TASK FORCE ANNOUNCES LONGTIME EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REA CAREY STEPPING DOWN IN 2021
- NATIONAL LGBTQ TASK FORCE ANNOUNCES VIRTUAL ANNUAL GALA
- Statement Re: HUD Proposed Regulations for Homeless Shelter Access for Trans and Non-binary
- STATEMENT ON THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PASSAGE OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
- Right Wing Round-Up: 200,000 Dead Is Hardly ‘Virtually Nobody’
- Right Wing Bonus Tracks: It’s Not a Theory If It’s a Fact
- Elections Are a ‘Spiritual Battle’ and Only ‘Mature’ Christians Are Ideal Candidates, Says Trump Cabinet Bible Study Teacher Ralph Drollinger
- ‘That’s No Accident’: Robert Henderson Credits His Prayer for Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Death
- Matt Gaetz Says Trump Era Must Be Start of U.S. Political ‘Realignment’