FRESNO STONEWALL DEMOCRATS
BYLAWS REVISED, May 4, 2005
NAME AND STATUS
The name of this organization shall be the Fresno Stonewall Democrats (herein referred to as FSD). The FSD is a non-profit political committee.
Section 1 Preamble
We believe that of the two major parties,the Democratic Party is the best home for those devoted to securing fair and equal treatment for people regardless of sexual orientation,preference,or identity.
Section 2 Our Mission
We,as Fresno Stonewall Democrats,are devoted to advancing equal rights for all people regardless of sexual orientation,preference,or identity. FSD support the Democratic Party and those Democratic candidates who support our mission.
We will strive to realize these goals:
· To educate the gay,lesbian,bisexual,and transgender community,and others about the significant differences between the two major parties on issues of concern to this community.
· To lead the Democratic Party to improve its record on issues of importance to this community.
· To work for the nomination of Democratic candidates at all levels who will be fully supportive of the struggle against bigotry and intolerance.
· To encourage our community to support and vote for Democratic candidates who are committed to defeating homophobia and prejudice.
· To work with other gay,lesbian,bisexual,and transgender groups and individuals to promote these goals.
Section 1 Qualifications
Any person who subscribes to the principles outlined in the mission statement and is not delinquent in payment of dues shall be considered a member.
Section 2 Categories
· Local. Those members who are registered members of the Democratic Party and are not delinquent in paying the local dues.
· National. Those members who are registered members of the Democratic Party and are not delinquent in paying their local and national dues.
· Associates (non-voting). Those members who wish to pay local dues or contribute financially to FSD but are not registered as members of the Democratic Party. Associate membership will not be counted toward chartering purposes with any other Democratic Party organization.
Section 3 Dues
Local dues shall be determined by a majority vote of the Executive Board
THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
Section 1 Executive Board shall consist of the following officers:
· President. The President shall preside over meetings of FSD.
· Vice President. The Vice President shall preside over FSD meetings in the Presidents absence and shall become President should the office become vacant.
· Secretary. The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of FSD meetings and records of correspondence.
· Treasurer. The Treasurer shall have fiduciary responsibility for FSD funds and finances.
· Member-At-Large. The Member-At-Large shall deliberate and vote with the other members for purposes of making Executive Board decisions.
Section 2 Election
The Executive Board Members shall be elected by a simple majority vote of those members in good standing in attendance at the organizational meeting and by a simple majority of those attending the annual meeting for the election of officers where a quorum is present. The annual meeting for election of officers shall take place in the month of January and every two years commencing with January,2005.
Section 3 Nominations
Nominations shall be by any voting member of FSD. Subsequent to officers chosen at the organizational meeting,nominations shall be made at the regular monthly meeting of the general membership one month prior to the annual meeting date which shall be the regular membership meeting day in December of even numbered years.
Section 4 Qualifications
Associate Members may not be officers of FSD. Any member of FSD may become an Officer.
Section 5 Removal from office
Any Officer may be removed from office upon petition by one half plus one of the entire voting membership or by the agreement of the other four members of the Executive Board,or by agreement of three members of the Executive Board who shall conduct a written poll of the entire voting membership and in which case a majority plus one of the entire membership shall be sufficient for removal.
For a regular member’s meeting no quorum shall be required unless a vote is required and then it shall be twenty percent (20) of the voting membership.
AMENDMENTS OF BYLAWS
Bylaw changes may be proposed by any voting member provided they are agreed to by a majority in attendance at a regular meeting where a quorum is present and are sent in writing to all members for consideration at the next regular meeting where they must be approved by a majority vote where a quorum is present.
The most recent edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the FSD in all situations in which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and federal,state,county,and city laws.
FSD shall not discriminate on the basis of race,religion,sex,ethnicity,age,disability,social or economic status,marital status,or sexual orientation,preference,or identity.
The Fresno Stonewall Democratic Club may endorse candidates and propositions in Democratic primaries and in non-partisan primaries and general elections and may take a position on ballot measures. This requires the approval of two-thirds of the members present at a meeting called for that purpose and announced at least one month in advance.
Section 1 General Membership
Resolutions may be introduced in writing at any general Membership meeting. Passage shall require only a simple majority where a quorum is present.
Section 2 Executive Board
The FSD Executive Board shall have the power to pass resolutions when timeliness is of essence or a quorum of the general membership is not attainable.