This morning LGBTQ people in Mississippi woke up knowing that their state now officially has the most discriminatory anti-LGBTQ laws on the books, worse than any state in the country.
Today HB1523, a religious refusal law, took effect in the Magnolia State. The law authorizes Mississippi officials and service providers, such as doctors and store owners, to refuse to serve LGBTQ people on the basis of three specific religious beliefs about marriage between same-sex couples, transgender individuals, and sex before marriage.
It’s a terrible law, leaving all LGBTQ people vulnerable to discrimination – and now that it’s in effect, you can bet that opponents of LGBTQ equality in state legislatures nationwide will seek to replicate its effects in their own states.
The 2018 legislative session is fast approaching – and we need to be ready to resist bills like HB1523 in key states nationwide. Can you help us prepare by donating $4 to Freedom for All Americans’ States Action Team, which was built to fight back against anti-LGBTQ legislative attacks? Click here.
When Indiana passed its distorted “License to Discriminate” RFRA law in 2015, dozens of state legislators held the law up as inspiration for their own attacks. When North Carolina prohibited restroom access for transgender people, many nearly identical bills advanced far in other state houses.
Now, we anticipate our opponents to look to Mississippi’s HB1523 as an example of a “License to Discriminate” that they can pass in their own state – and we can’t let that happen.
LGBTQ people need laws protecting them from discrimination – not laws that ease discrimination altogether. Our States Action Team is gearing up for a busy legislative session in 2018 – and we need you with us.
Click here to donate $4 to the States Action Team and make a difference so we can avoid the next HB1523.
Freedom for All Americans
- Truth Wins Out Expresses Disgust With Decision to Undermine AIDS Vaccine by Trump Administration
- Wacky Religious Cult in White House Has Scary Views and is Worth Closely Watching
- Truth Wins Out Harshly Condemns GOP Lame Duck Coups in WI and MI that Threaten the Foundation of Democracy
- U.S. Author Is Peddling ‘Ex-Gay’ Lies in Brazil, Oblivious to New Political Dangers and Omitting Failures of Such Programs at Home
- Pastor de Estados Unidos está vendiendo “Ex-Gay” se encuentra en Brasil, ajeno a nuevos peligros políticos y omitiendo fallas de tales programas en casa
- Even Though The White House Won’t Throw A Party, We Still Will
- 56 Major Companies Respond to Alarming Effort to Erase Transgender People From Legal Protections
- Trump’s Hate is Too Late: Our Movement is Built on Love
- Thank Your For Sharing Your Story!
- The National LGBTQ Task Force condemns the anti-Semitic attack at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh today