This morning LGBTQ people in Mississippi woke up knowing that their state now officially has the most discriminatory anti-LGBTQ laws on the books, worse than any state in the country.
Today HB1523, a religious refusal law, took effect in the Magnolia State. The law authorizes Mississippi officials and service providers, such as doctors and store owners, to refuse to serve LGBTQ people on the basis of three specific religious beliefs about marriage between same-sex couples, transgender individuals, and sex before marriage.
It’s a terrible law, leaving all LGBTQ people vulnerable to discrimination – and now that it’s in effect, you can bet that opponents of LGBTQ equality in state legislatures nationwide will seek to replicate its effects in their own states.
The 2018 legislative session is fast approaching – and we need to be ready to resist bills like HB1523 in key states nationwide. Can you help us prepare by donating $4 to Freedom for All Americans’ States Action Team, which was built to fight back against anti-LGBTQ legislative attacks? Click here.
When Indiana passed its distorted “License to Discriminate” RFRA law in 2015, dozens of state legislators held the law up as inspiration for their own attacks. When North Carolina prohibited restroom access for transgender people, many nearly identical bills advanced far in other state houses.
Now, we anticipate our opponents to look to Mississippi’s HB1523 as an example of a “License to Discriminate” that they can pass in their own state – and we can’t let that happen.
LGBTQ people need laws protecting them from discrimination – not laws that ease discrimination altogether. Our States Action Team is gearing up for a busy legislative session in 2018 – and we need you with us.
Click here to donate $4 to the States Action Team and make a difference so we can avoid the next HB1523.
Freedom for All Americans
- TWO Calls on Fort Lauderdale Mayor to Rescind Prayer Breakfast Invitation to Anti-LGBT Hate Group Leader
- ‘Ex-Gay’ Therapist Joseph Nicolosi is Dead, he was an Opportunistic Ideologue and Propagandist who Trafficked in Hate and Harm
- TWO Interviews Anthony Galloway of Equality Illinois to Discuss the Trump Administration’s Attack on Transgender People
- Truth Wins Out Interviews former White Nationalist Leader Christian Picciolini
- Strategy in the Age of Trump: Wayne Besen Interviews Nadine Smith of Equality Florida
- Since Trump won’t let LGBTQ and Black reporters come to his holiday party, the Task Force will throw a party of its own
- National LGBTQ Task Force Press Advisory: 30th Creating Change Conference Jan. 24 – 28 at Marriott Wardman Park in Washington, DC
- National LGBTQ Task Force: Masterpiece Cakeshop Case Could Roll LGBTQ Rights Back A Half-Century
- Mr. President, for World AIDS Day, the National LGBTQ Task Force would like to give you an education on HIV
- Longtime Activist and LGBTQ Leader Sue Hyde to Move on from the National LGBTQ Task Force in 2018
- CNS Editor Warns That Government Could Manipulate Self-Driving Cars To Prevent Anti-Abortion Protests
- Sundar Selvaraj: A Meteor Confirmed That Pope Francis Is The False Prophet Of The Book Of Revelation
- Lance Wallnau: Christians Must ‘Remove Every Leftist’ From Office Because ‘The Nazis Are On The March’
- Kevin Swanson Blames Roy Moore’s Loss On Alabama’s Love Of Pornography
- Numbers USA Running Anti-DACA ‘Chain Migration’ Ads